Catigbi-an is an interior town north of Balilihan and west of Carmen. It is an old community, being one of the villages where the rebels were resettled after the Dagohoy Rebellion had been suppressed in 1829. In 1903, when the province was reorganized, it was annexed to Balilihan but was made an independent municipality once more in October 1949. Catigbi-an got its name after a tree which grew abundantly in the place. When the town was recreated in 1949, there were only 15 barrios within its territorial limits compared to the 22 barangays it has now.
|Catigbian at a glance|
|Number of households (2000):||4094|
|Land area:||7848 ha|
|Number of barangays:||22|
|Distance from Tagbilaran:||34 km|
|Barangay||Population (2010)||Population (2000)||Households (2000)|
(Based on figures from the census of 2000 and 2010 from NSO)