This progressive town lies on the northwestern coast of Bohol 114.8 kilometers from Tagbilaran City. It was established in 1830. Before that year Talibon was a part of Inabanga.
No records are available to show the origin of the town but old folks claimed that the place got its name from 'talibong,' an ancient spear which they used for mining gold. Later on the letter g was dropped so the name Talibon prevailed.
During World War II a guerilla force was organized which took control and authority in Talibon. The force maintained peace and order in the town and restored for a time the normal functions of the municipal peace and order in the town restored for a time the normal functions of the municipal government. Sen. Carlos P. Garcia, former President of the Philippines, acted as their High Adviser. When Japanese soldiers occupied Bohol their first acts was to dispatch a patrol to capture Carlos P. Garcia, but he narrowly escaped to Leyte in a sailboat together with his family. Failing to capture Garcia the Japanese soldiers burned the Garcia house and subjected to severe torture volunteer guard Cesario Avergonzado for giving them the wrong direction. That was July 4, 1942.
|Talibon at a glance|
|Number of households (2000):||9712|
|Land area:||17704 ha|
|Number of barangays:||25|
|Distance from Tagbilaran:||109 km|
|Barangay||Population (2000)||Households (2000)||Population (2010)||Population (2015)|
(Based on figures from the census of 2000, 2010, and 2015 from PSA)