Earthquake and Typhoon: Update for Tourists
Panglao, Sunday, 17 November 2013 16:35:52
Bohol was just to the South of the path of Yolanda (internationally known as Haiyan) and suffered relatively little additional damage. However, power-supply is limited, as the power lines to the major source of electricity in Bohol are cut (the Tongonan geothermal power-plant in Leyte).
The resorts in Panglao are operating as usual, although using generators at times.
We received the following update on the situation in Panglao from Holger Horn, proprietor of Philippine Fun Divers.
- Alona Beach and the areas within the municipality of Panglao were basically not affected!!!
- Some buildings outside the Alona Beach area encountered only minor damages because of weak structures;
- The municipality of Dauis on Panglao Island experienced damages to their church;
- The 2 bridges connecting Panglao Island with Bohol Island are intact and fully functional. There was a minor damage to the bridge closest to Tagbilaran City which is repaired;
- Domestic flights from and to Manila and fast ferries from and to Cebu City are on normal schedules;
- The roads from the airport and pier in Tagbilaran City, the roads in Tagbilaran City, passing over the 2 bridges connecting Panglao with Bohol, and the roads on Panglao Island to our scuba diving operation are safe and without damages. There were minor cracks at one side of the pier but it's already attended to;
- There were no damages to any of our dive sites/dive spots. Balicasag Island dive spots are as great as it was before the earthquake;
- With regards to scuba diving and resort operations, everything is back to normal and business as usual since the following day after the earthquake;
- We actually never had an interruption except for one day, the day of the earthquake. October 15 the earthquake shook us at 08:12a.m. for a period of under one minute. That day Philippine Coast Guard didn't allow any boat travel. Next day was already operation as usual;
- There were a few aftershocks, mild and 1 to 2 seconds only and rest periods in between a very long. This is normal because of the fact that the 2 fault plates are setting in;
- Philippine Fun Divers relief operations are on-going into the mountainous areas of Bohol. We update you about it on a regular basis on Facebook.
See you in paradise and please help us to spread this news in order to pre-empt and to correct misinformation's.
Thanks and best regards,