Bared... Fiel: 'Life begins at 40'
Tagbilaran, Saturday, 27 February 2010 20:46:38
Birthday celebrator Rep. Edgar Chatto.
- Feliz compleaños to erstwhile mayor Joe Torralba, city administrator Walter Toston, Dr. Cyrilda Tallo, Maximiel, Feb. 9; city councilor Ann Mariquit Oppus, Feb. 10; Atty. Zoilo Dejaresco, Jr., Tagbilaran City mayor Dan Lim, Lloyd Guttierez and city health officer Dr. Antonio Porticos, Feb. 11; Valentino Gamutin, Atty. Handel Lagunay, Gary Silagan and Fr. Val Pinlac, Feb. 14; Melchor Daniel, Feb. 15; Louella Husain, Feb. 17; Fr. Joe Sumampong, Feb. 20; Rep. Edgar Chatto, Feb. 21; and Dr. Jojo Maniwan, Feb. 24. Popular celebrities who are born in February are Martin Nievera, Feb. 5; Kris Aquino and Heart Evangelista, Feb. 14; James Yap, Feb. 15; Ann Curtis, Feb. 17; Lea Salonga, Feb. 22; and Maricel Soriano, Feb. 25. Oopps… Presidentiable Gibo Teodoro will arrive today (Feb. 21) to attend the birthday celebration of Rep. Edgar Chatto (who is running for Bohol governor). It will be People's Day at Balilihan gym.
- Guess who is this young socialite from Tagbilaran City who is suffering from an ailment that turned her face bloated after seeking some "enhancing" treatments? She dished out thousands of bucks to seek for "Salamat Po, Doktor" somewhere in the queen city of the south. Her friends are looking for her but she could not be found. Bared's "socialite" Very Reliable Source said that she is hiding to recuperate at home.
- A young businessman has been making it appear to the people that he and a beautiful nurse are "on." But the nurse insists that the young businessman is just her friend. Define friendship? Mmm..friendship is the beginning of love.
Fiel Angeli Araoarao-Gabin says life begins at 40.
Fiel Angeli Araoarao-Gabin has revealed that she is looking forward to her 40s.
The Miss Tagbilaran 1987 and winner of numerous awards who will be 40 on Feb. 24 (but she doesn't look it, does she?), says that she is excited about her future with husband Engr. Jerome John Gabin and daughter AJ Wincielou Johanna "Cielo" (who was 3rd place winner in China Primary Math Olympiad, Tianjin, China in Aug. 2009 and individual top scorer in Tagbilaran City Schools Division MetroBank-MTAP-DepEd Math Challenge on Feb.17, 2010).
Age, it seems, has brought a new confidence to Fiel. "Yes, since I've learned many lessons in all those years of meeting people," she explains. "But being 40 is a bit awkward for me - it's the funny feeling when you want to feel mature and responsible about "bigger" things in life and yet, you want to cling to that feeling of being "young." In this stage of my life, my greatest challenge would be to grow old gracefully."
Fiel, a medalist in the Toastmaster speech
contest emceed the wedding of Salipada Cerna
and Nekolai Montero(daughter of Kag. Ondo
and Nila Montero, who is running for Panglao
mayor) wedding last Jan. 30, 2010.
When I ask if younger men continue to make passes at her, she giggles and shyly admits, "I dunno, but most of my friends who saw me as "thin" before would say I've indeed grown sideways, but they say the poise is still there."
"Life Begins at 40" as the song (by John Lennon) goes...Yeah, life begins at forty, age is just a state of mind…
To highlight Fiel's birthday, Bared asks her many things (including memorable moments to look back, misty-eyed?).
- Jerome's first gift to Fiel was a bunch of roses.
- She is scared of snakes. Both literally and figuratively speaking.
- She gets angry when at times something doesn't meet up to my expectations.
- Her favorite dish that she prepares for her family, mainly desserts: leche flan, buko pandan and mango cheese mold, quite a come-on for the sweet tooth.
- Her favorite color is a white for flowers but in dresses, learns to mix and match light and dark colors.
- The longest time spend in the bathroom is 30 minutes.
- Her proudest moments: when she won 4th place in the NSSPC English feature writing in Dipolog City in Feb 1985, because she was the only winner from Region 7 that time; and second - when Cielo won 3rd place in the China Primary Math Olympiad in Tianjin last August 2009 because she fulfilled for Jerome and me our long-time dream of traveling outside the country.
- She was the topnotcher of the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) - Bohol Exam in Oct. 2008.
- She played "Mrs. Aguirre," ABS-CBN's "Maala-ala Mo Kaya" The Nila Montero Story in May 2005 and appeared on TV about Prinsesa Analiza and Siquijor.
- She likes to collect paintings. "While I am starting my collection of paintings from Boholano- artist-friends, I have my photo collections which I cherish. Liwat ko ni Mama Wincie."
- She keeps family pictures (and that of artists, celebrities and luminaries- Fiel's camera is always ready to capture them!): "Why I collect photographs- I believe that there should be a "keeper of memories" in each family. I got it from Mama Wincie, and now, for my generation, I am taking that responsibility upon myself."
- She became president of DML Montessori School Parents-Teachers Association (June 1999-March 2001) and president of Association of United Development Information Officers - Bohol (March 2003-Aug. 2005) and Regional Association of Development Information Officers - Central Visayas (2004-2005).
- Last thing she does before going to sleep: Make the sign of the cross.
- First thing she does when she wakes up: I do kiss Cielo and Jerome.
- Sex life: Ngeh! That part I'd rather keep private :-)
- City of Dreams? Paris. "Because for me, Paris is the Center of Europe - my wildest dream! I always believe and am always fascinated that Paris is the heart of European civilization."
- Principle in life: I always believe that money is important, but it's NOT everything. We should learn to appreciate God's blessings of love in the family, talent, good health and friendship.
The mysterious dark coating on "Chocolate Hills" rock in Planet Mars. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell.
From Marilyn (no family name and address given): In addition to the "Chocolate Hills are in Planet Mars":
Opportunity at a Sweet Spot on Mars (http://marsrover.nasa.gov/spotlight/20100211b.html)
Guess who has a "sweet tooth?" The Opportunity rover on Mars, of course. The robotic geologist is poised and ready to "taste" a rock named "Chocolate Hills."
This rock has a thick, dark-colored coating that is interesting to scientists because many of the rocks in the surrounding area have the same mysterious dark stuff. The coating could be remnants of a layer that was changed by the action of water and weather or, it could be a layer of rock that melted when a meteor (less than a foot across) impacted Mars, ejecting this rock and others and creating the crater "Concepcion". Knowing its origins will help them understand the history of Mars. Opportunity's mission is to figure out the "ingredients" of this morsel by studying the chemicals in it.
And, just where did the name "Chocolate Hills" come from anyway? Opportunity is at the rim of "Concepcion" crater, which was named after one of Magellan's ships. This ship was abandoned on an island named Bohol, in the Philippines. The island has some unusual cone-shaped mounds that are covered in grass. In the dry season, these hills turn brown, thus the inspiration for their name, Chocolate Hills. To chocolate lovers, these features look remarkably like Hershey's Kisses.
Stay tuned as Opportunity savors the mysterious dark coating on "Chocolate Hills" rock.
Leo P. Udtohan